Lichens (Western Australian Lichen Study)

Stanley George Kailis NKAILISS at cc.curtin.edu.au
Wed Aug 25 23:57:20 EST 1993

David J Thomas, Zorer Roberto and Mark J Hovenden
Thank you for the quick response to my request on Lichens in Space.
Apologies for not replying sooner as I have been away. I am currently
collecting lichen specimens in Western Australia for the purpose of
environmental, morphological and biochemical studies. Current research
involves lipid studies especially fatty acid analysis using GC-MS and
HPLC. This work has also led to the seeking of information on  lichen
culture methods under different environmental conditions including those
that would be experienced in spacecraft and hence space. I am therefore
seeking references and other information  specific to culturing and
especially the latter. I would follow the growth of the cultures using a
number of biochemical markers.

Lichen species that are readily available to me are Cladonia, Parmellia
(etc), and Cladia.

I hope to be faster in my reply next time.

Stan Kailis
Curtin University of Technology
Box U1987 GPO Perth Australia
Telephone			+0619 3517457