seed extraction

REELEDER at ONRSDE.AGR.CA REELEDER at ONRSDE.AGR.CA
Fri Aug 27 13:42:36 EST 1993

>Subj:	seed extraction help!

>Help!  I'm trying to extract seeds for a predation experiment from some
>on-site collected fruits (Phytolacca americana, Rubus allegheniensis).
>Extraction is difficult, esp. to separate the skin of the fruit and the
>pulp from the individual seeds.  Has anyone out there spent time pulling
>seeds out of fruits by a more sophisticated method than mashing the seeds

How large are the seeds?  For ginseng seeds (which are about pea-size) we
use a Waring blendor with the blades wrapped in rubber tubing to extract
the seed from the berry.  Then just use a sieve and wash away the pulp.
Seed germination with this method seems ok so viability doesn't appear
to be affected.

Rick Reeleder
reeleder at onrsde.agr.ca