W.Pine: Planting from Seed

Ekramoddoullah, Abul Kalam M. aekramoddoul at PFC.Forestry.CA
Fri Aug 27 13:28:59 EST 1993

In article <AgSUg2W00iUy01L3RR at andrew.cmu.edu>, Nicholas Michael Madjerick <nm13+ at andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
>I would like to plant White Pine seeds in conjunction with my
>"Reenchantment of Place" Project. I must plant in available soil and for
>this reason I want to plant seeds not seedlings- it would seem that the
>trees would have a better foundation to grow on if they started their
>lives in the space as seeds (advise me if I am wrong).
>
>I would deeply appreciate any information or advice concerning the
>germination and planting of the seeds.
>
>Many Thanks

I presume you are takling about eastern white pine. I do not know much about
phsyiology of white pine seed. However, you should be aware of white pine blister
rust (Cronartiun ribicola) problem. If seeds are not from seed orchards of
resistant trees, the young seedling may succumb to this disease. I hope this
would help. If you need more information you may contact : Peter W. Garret, Principal
Forest Geneticist, USDA Forest Service, Northeasern Forest Experiment Station,
Durham, New Hampshire, USA.
Thanks. Abul
I may be contacted at Abul K.M. Ekramoddoullah, Natural Resources Canada,
Forestry Sector, Pacific Forestry Centre, Victoria, B.C. Canada. Internet:
AEKRAMODDOUL at A1.PFC.Forestry.CA

  EKRAMODDOULLAH, ABUL KALAM M.     Title: Research Scientist
  Forestry Canada                   Phone: (604) 363-0600
  Victoria, B.C.                    Internet: AEKRAMODDOUL at A1.PFC.Forestry.CA