seed extraction help!

Mon Aug 30 11:54:23 EST 1993

In article <143493 at netnews.upenn.edu>, lhyatt at mail.sas.upenn.edu (Laura Hyatt) writes:
>Help!  I'm trying to extract seeds for a predation experiment from some
>on-site collected fruits (Phytolacca americana, Rubus allegheniensis).

1. Have you tried a juicer? (Dry down the pulp and sieve).

2. For Rubus, pectinase (available in wine-making supply shops) will
   probably remove most of the slime.  I've found tannic acid (1M) to be
   a very good solution for removing protein slimes.  -RSW

>Extraction is difficult, esp. to separate the skin of the fruit and the
>pulp from the individual seeds.  Has anyone out there spent time pulling
>seeds out of fruits by a more sophisticated method than mashing the seeds
>and sitting down with tweezers while listening to NPR?  Weak acid has been
>suggested, but I'm worried about the effect this will have on the
>palatability of seeds.

  RICHARD WINDER                    Title: Visiting Fellow
  Forestry Canada                   Phone: (604) 363-0600