tomato

Leonard N. Bloksberg bloksber at pilot.msu.edu
Fri Dec 3 09:36:00 EST 1993

In Article <2dc7jf$mvo at mserv1.dl.ac.uk> ""M. Emre Oktem" <E65282 at vm.cc.metu.edu.tr>" says:
>  Dear friends,
>  I am a fourth year biology student in M.E.Tech,Turkey.
>  I am interested and performing experiments on tomato.
>  If anyone interested in tomato transformation or transformation
>  via Agrobacterium please do write me.
>
>                                     Yours sincerely,
>                                     Emre Oktem

.
I have done tomato transformation.  Try looking up some of the current lit
for the most up to date protocols.  Some warnings and advice that I can give.
In the Horsch and Fraley paper, Science, 1985, they speak of transforming
tomato.  The "tomato" they refer to is a wild relative of tomato which was
selected for easy regeneration in tissue culture, and has no similarity to
the cultivated tomato with regards to conditions for tissue culture.  Just
the same, this paper is the basis of all current protocols, and is very good.
Note that cultivars of tomato vary dramatically in their response to tissue
culture.  Find a protocol that works for your cultivar and stick with it.
The pre-incubation of explants on a nurse culture used in some protocols
makes a big difference in speed and efficiency of regeneration.  The exact
age of sterile grown seedlings is important (7 day old is better than 5 or
9) and do not even try to surface sterilize field grown material.  The shock
of sterilization combined with the shock of agro infection is lethal.   I
don't have my ref's with me, but I'm sure you can find more recent stuff
than I have.  I was involved in developing the first system.  Good luck.
.
.	Dr. Leonard N. Bloksberg
.	Bloksber at pilot.msu.edu
.	Dept. of Crop and Soil Science