HIGH TECH GREENHOUSES (RESPONSES)

Mark Guiltinan Mark_Guiltinan at AGCS.CAS.PSU.EDU
Fri Dec 3 09:22:40 EST 1993

     Many thanks to all of the wonderful people who responded to my question
about the design of high tech-physiological greenhouses.    This is really a
fantastic system.  Here are all of the responses I have received so far.  If
anyone has more information, please forward and I will repost a second summary
later.

Thanks again,

Mark Guiltinan
Penn State Biotechnology Institute
mjg at psupen.psu.edu

PS.  I have no affiliation with any of the companies or consultants endorsed
herein.  MG
Message for Mark Guiltinan

From: 	yams at midway.uchicago.edu
Date: 	Mon, Nov 29, 1993 10:58 AM
Subject: 	High tech greenhouses
To: 	mjg at psupen.psu.edu

Mark,

We have just gone through the process you are now starting. It will be
about five years from the start of design to the final completion of our
new greenhouse facility. The greenhouses are under construction now, and we
expect to move in during spring of '94.

There are lots of design considerations, names of appropriate greenhouse
manufacturers, and names other equipment manufacturers I could mention. But I
think we found  the most important consideration was to find a greenhouse
consultant to help us with the planning and construction processes. We used a
Canadian company, Agritech nove, located at 5 rue Morin, St. Anselme, Quebec,
Canada, G0R 2N0. Their phone number is 418/885-9595 and their fax
is 418/885-4957. Richard Denis is the president of the company, and he has been
intimately involved with our project.

Since we are not yet moved into our new facility, I cannot offer advice as to
what has worked well and what we would would change. I can think of two new
university greenhouse facilities which are already in operation, and you may
want to contact people there. They are:

        1. James D. Kramer
             Dept. of Plant Biology
             University of Illinois
             505 S. Goodwin Ave.
             Urbana, IL  61801

              phone: (217) 333- 3058       email: j-kramer at uiuc.edu

        2.  Joan Leonard
              Department of Plant Biology
              The Ohio State University
              Columbus, OH  43210

               phone: (614) 292-7904

If there is any further info I can send you, let me know. I do think
finding a good consultant is the best way to start, particularly if your
university does not have its own ag. engineering dept. to use a resource
when designing the new greenhouse.

Susan Yamins
Greenhouse Manager
The University of Chicago