Onion Chromosomes

Klaus Schumann [Biologie] schumann at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Fri Dec 3 04:36:33 EST 1993

j00030 at TIGGER.STCLOUD.MSUS.EDU writes:
The chromosome number of Allium cepa is 16 (2n). Within the genus there is
some variation from 32 to 14. The reference is: Bennett, MD; Smith, JB:
Nuclear DNA amounts in angiosperms. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal
Society of London (B. Biological Sciences) 274: 227-274 (1976).
This is not the primary reference, it is a list where the DNA content for
many plant species are given in addition with the chromosome number, and I
had it on hand :-).

Hope this helps
Klaus
schumann at rhrk.uni-kl.de