high fructose corn syrup

RossN at imb.lan.nrc.ca RossN at imb.lan.nrc.ca
Wed Dec 8 08:40:00 EST 1993

Here is my limited understanding of how high-fructose corn syrup is made.
Corn starch is hydrolyzed to glucose which is then enzymatically converted to
fructose by glucose isomerase (aka xylose isomerase).  The enzymatic step is
used since fructose is several times sweeter than glucose on a per weight
basis.  I don't know how the starch is hydrolyzed (acid hydrolysis versus
amylase digestion).  I hope this helps.

Neil Ross     ROSSN at imb.lan.nrc.ca
FORWARDED FROM: Ross, Neil W.