Sassafra Leaf Morph distribution

RossN at imb.lan.nrc.ca RossN at imb.lan.nrc.ca
Wed Dec 8 16:10:00 EST 1993

This has probably been stated before, but here goes. In my (non-scientific)
observations of maple and oak trees of eastern Canada, I have noted that the
more light a leaf sees the deeper the lobes on the leaf. Shaded leaves of a
mature maple are more "rounded" than leaves from the top of the same tree.
Could a similar phenomenom explain the lobes in the Sassafras tree?  Could
this be tested by shading selected branches on a tree at the beginning of a
growing season and compare with unshaded branches?  Just my two cents worth.
Neil
(If my statements appear naive, it's because they are)
FORWARDED FROM: Ross, Neil W.