Christmas Tree Maintenance?

SUSAN FARMER farmer at cs.utk.edu
Thu Dec 9 14:12:20 EST 1993

In article <2e7p2e$3kt at chemsci1.es.dupont.com> Dayton Meyer <meyerdt at chemsci1.es.dupont.com> writes:
>After buying our cut Christmas tree, the salesman advised my roommate to
>use very dilute sugar water in the reservoir in order to keep the tree
>thriving throughout the long holiday season.  I've heard of recipes like
>this before, but never kept record of them.
>
>Does anybody have any recipes like this, assuming they have positive
>efficacy?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Dayton Meyer
>Wilmington, DE
>
>meyerdt at chemsci1.es.dupont.com

Well, I can't speak for Christmas Trees, but my mother-in-law is a florist
and *especially* for roses, she advises her customers to use 50% water
and 50% sprite or 7-up (NOT sugar-free).  The acid and the sugar are supposed
to be beneficial for the cut flowers.  However, with the addition of the
sugar, you have to be absolutely religious about changing the water
frequently or you get nasty overgrowth of molds and bacteria which are none
to healthy for the plants.

It sort of follows that this might work for Christmas trees, but I don't know.

Susan

--
Susan B. Farmer     farmer at cs.utk.edu     Lady Jerusha Kilgore
I can't even find time to clean house and you want me to come up with a .sig?