HOORAY for Surgeon General Elders!!

Mark Slagle slagle at lmsc.lockheed.com
Fri Dec 10 02:25:11 EST 1993

In article <2e7c4h$pmn at darkstar.UCSC.EDU>, moksha at cats.ucsc.edu (Matthew Michael Brenner) writes:

> To me this is the first truly original idea in American
> politics in my lifetime.  It's so heartening to see it coming
> from such a respectable person as Dr. Elders.

Hardly an original idea, and I have some trouble respecting Dr.
Elders, but a good idea is a good idea and it doesn't take a
rocket scientist to see the collateral damage that the War on
Drugs is causing.  But there may be a ray of hope in this.  If
Elders can understand this, it may still be possible to get
Billary to get the picture in focus.

> Now, what's so surprising is the Whitehouse's reaction:
> something like "the Surgeon General is entitled to her opinion
> but Mr. Clinton is opposed to the idea and doesn't want to
> study it."

Wanna bet Clinton and his bunch put her up to it in the first
place to see how the trial balloon would float?  She's expendable
on this count.

> Doesn't want to even study it?

The FBI chief (Freed is it spelled?) said he'd only need about
30 seconds to "study" the matter, but then what do you expect
from a member of a government that profits mightily from waging
the War on Drugs?

> I urge everyone reading this who has a scintilla of grey-matter
> in their heads: write the prez. and tell him to listen to his
> Surgeon General:

Good plan.  That's probably what Slick wanted to find out anyway,
so we might as well tell him.

Mark E. Slagle                                 PO Box 61059
slagle at lmsc.lockheed.com                       Sunnyvale, CA   94088
408-756-0895                                   USA