HOORAY for Surgeon General Elders!!

Mark Slagle slagle at lmsc.lockheed.com
Fri Dec 10 02:25:11 EST 1993

In article <2e7c4h$pmn at darkstar.UCSC.EDU>, moksha at cats.ucsc.edu (Matthew Michael Brenner) writes:

> To me this is the first truly original idea in American
> politics in my lifetime.  It's so heartening to see it coming
> from such a respectable person as Dr. Elders.

Hardly an original idea, and I have some trouble respecting Dr.
Elders, but a good idea is a good idea and it doesn't take a
rocket scientist to see the collateral damage that the War on
Drugs is causing.  But there may be a ray of hope in this.  If
Elders can understand this, it may still be possible to get
Billary to get the picture in focus.

> Now, what's so surprising is the Whitehouse's reaction:
> something like "the Surgeon General is entitled to her opinion
> but Mr. Clinton is opposed to the idea and doesn't want to
> study it."

Wanna bet Clinton and his bunch put her up to it in the first
place to see how the trial balloon would float?  She's expendable
on this count.

> Doesn't want to even study it?

The FBI chief (Freed is it spelled?) said he'd only need about
30 seconds to "study" the matter, but then what do you expect
from a member of a government that profits mightily from waging
the War on Drugs?

> I urge everyone reading this who has a scintilla of grey-matter
> in their heads: write the prez. and tell him to listen to his
> Surgeon General:

> PRESIDENT at WHITEHOUSE.GOV

Good plan.  That's probably what Slick wanted to find out anyway,
so we might as well tell him.

=Mark
--
----
Mark E. Slagle                                 PO Box 61059