electrophoresis of plant proteins

RossN at imb.lan.nrc.ca RossN at imb.lan.nrc.ca
Mon Dec 13 18:36:44 EST 1993

I have just started working on algal proteins and have had some similar
SDS-PAGE experiences which I have attributed (rightly?) to the contamination
of my samples with acidic polysaccharides.  For one gel I centrifuged my
sample (13,000g x 5 min) prior to loading and got better resolution.  I also
saw a visible opaque pellet in the microtube after spinning which I guessed
was polysaccharide.
    Another possibility is that smearing is due to a high concentration of
lipids.  Lipids can be removed from the sample by extracting your plant
material with ether/ethanol (3/2) 3X (I used this for brain myelin
delipidation, 7-8 yrs ago).  Acetone or chloroform/methanol (2/1) might also
work.
    Good luck.   Neil
FORWARDED FROM: Ross, Neil W.