Official announcement: BIONET.PLANTS PROBLEMS

Alan Bleasby ajb at s-crim1.dl.ac.uk
Tue Dec 14 13:31:48 EST 1993

First, apologies for the insanity that has fallen on this group wrt the
`surgeon' thread. This, as has been pointed out previously, is due to
cross-posting.

Curing this is not simple. As usual, the best route is to ignore such
postings and they will soon wither away.

I have sent messages to all the other `affected' groups requesting that
bionet.plants be removed from the forwarding lists and, if any more
postings occur, I will contact the relevant system managers and ask that
the offenders ID be revoked.

The alternative is to moderate the group but this is not quite as simple
as it seems. I can easily send out a NEWS message saying `this is now
to be a moderated group' but, even so, it requires intervention from NEWS
system managers to implement a forwarding address for the moderator. I
would prefer, therefore, to let the thing run its course. I will, of
course, monitor the progress of this `annoyance' and take appropriate
action. Again, apologies for the inconvenience and please try to ignore
this thread.

Rgds

Alan Bleasby
BIONET/BIOSCI