Job: PLANT / TREE GENETIC ENGINEERING, RESEARCH ASST. PROFESSOR
Steven H. Strauss
strauss at fsl.orst.edu
Tue Dec 14 20:55:03 EST 1993
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR, SENIOR RESEARCH
Location: Corvallis, Oregon.
Date Available: April 1, 1994
Application Closing Date: January 28, 1994
Conduct research through an industry-government-
University funded Cooperative to develop systems for
genetic engineering of trees for plantation culture.
The focus of efforts in the near-term will be on
genetic manipulation of hybrid poplars for pulpwood
Specifically, responsibilites will include:
1. Development of improved tissue culture regeneration
systems and associated gene transfer methods.
2. Configuring genes and vectors for insertion into
3. Testing of transgenic plants in lab, greenhouse,
and field environments for transgene
incorporation, expression, and delivery of desired
4. Collaboration with scientists in related
disciplines, biotechnology companies, and
Cooperators, to design and oversee tests of
5. Supervision of a full-time technician, and other
workers, who will help to carry out laboratory and
6. Design of experiments, statistical analyses, and
writing of Cooperative reports and publications
for scientific journals.
7. Effective oral communication, and associated
leadership of Cooperative Technical Committee
(i.e., scientific planning) meetings.
8. Obtaining supplemental funding to accomplish
Cooperative objectives through preparation of
Education and experience:
Applicants must have a PhD degree and significant
postdoctoral or equivalent experience in genetic
engineering of plants. Experience in the following is
1. Tissue culture systems related to gene transfer.
2. Agrobacterium culture and manipulation.
3. Recombinant DNA skills such as vector
configuration, sequencing, Southern blotting, PCR,
and analysis of gene expression at RNA and protein
4. Writing of scientific reports and grant proposals.
5. Effective public and scientific speaking.
6. Collaboration and productive interactions with
colleagues, subordinates, and superiors.
7. Scientific leadership and creativity.
8. Organization and planning skills.
Rank of Research Assistant Professor, Department of
Forest Science, Oregon State University. The
appointment is a full time, 12-month, fixed term
position. Reappointment is at the discretion of the
Dean. Reports to Department Head; research supervised
by Cooperative Leader. Salary of $32,004 to
40,008/year depending on qualifications, experience,
and adoption of final Cooperative budget. Medical,
dental, and life insurance plans are available.
Please send a letter of application, resume,
transcripts, and three letters of recommendation to Dr.
Logan Norris, Dept. of Forest Science, Oregon State
University, Corvallis, OR 97331-7501. For more
information contact Prof. Steve Strauss, phone 503/737-
6578, email strauss at fsl.orst.edu, fax 503/737-1393.
Applicants are urged to call or send a resume prior to
submitting a full application.
OREGON STATE UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL
OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND HAS A POLICY OF BEING
RESPONSIVE TO THE NEEDS OF DUAL-CAREER COUPLES.
More information about the Plantbio