CONGRESS is the PROBLEM! Was Re: Stupid Americans Re: HOORAY for Surg

C.J. Corcoran cjc5440 at ultb.isc.rit.edu
Sat Dec 18 16:51:44 EST 1993

In article <2ere7l$qk at usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu> dr303 at cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Jim I. Walker) writes:
>I've kind of been thinking of this, actually. Ever since I came to
>usenet news, I LOVED IT! It's finally a place where people around the
>nation can talk about their views freely- nobody regualting what I say.
>It's kind of a media of the grassroots. No multi million dollar cable
>companies telling me what to think! What is discussed is what people
>want to discuss - real issues are confronted in real ways. I thought
>it would be even better once this incredible power of the grassroots
>was unleashed to all people in the U.S. (or other countries, for that
>matter). But I was afraid it was too good to be true. And you're right.
>It probably is. The mainstream media has already conjured up a lot of
>irrational fear over the internet, and the government will jump in on
>top of it, I'm afraiIf the government doesn't do it, business will.
>I want the power of the internet we have now to last. Once the congress
>even suggests regulation, we'll have to flood the fuck out of senators
>with snail mail.

Unfortunately, internet is already heading for privatization, and
government is already talking about regulation. In fact they want to
work out a standardized encryption process with a back door. They will
allow everyone their privacy except when the govt. has a court order.
Expect some big changes on the net in the next 5-10 years. This will be
gone. The usenet replaced by something a little more politcally correct.

  -chris
--
Chris Corcoran                      "It is by will alone I set
cjc5440 at ultb.isc.rit.edu             my mind in motion..."