"Crime like this"? (was HOORAY for Surgeon General Elders!!!!)

William December Starr wdstarr at world.std.com
Sat Dec 18 12:22:47 EST 1993

In article <2eidt2$80m at canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca>,
umplatt2 at ccu.umanitoba.ca (David Gregory Platt) said:

> I don't buy this argument. The way to stop organized crime is to
> attack it directly. Prohibition did not let organized crime flourish
> -- J. Edgar Hoover's unwillingness to fight it did. After prohibition,
> the Mafia simply went on to other vices -- gambling, prostitution,
> robbery.  Another example is the illegal trade in human body parts in
> South America.  Legalizing the sale of humand body parts wouldn't make
> this any less evil.  The only way to stop crime like this is to remove
> the _need_ for it, not to legalize one particular product.

"The only way to stop crime like this is to remove the _need_ for it,
not to legalize one particular product."  Sigh.  What do you mean by
"crime like this?"  The only definition of "crime" that I can see that
encompasses (1) gambling, (2) prostitution, (3) robbery, (4) trading in
human body parts and (5) trading in drugs is "Crime is whatever the
state says it is, regardless of any other facts or considerations."

Is this your opinion?

-- William December Starr <wdstarr at world.std.com>