Susceptibility of plants to aphids

adwright at iastate.edu adwright at iastate.edu
Tue Feb 2 13:27:44 EST 1993

Just my $.02 worth, but i had a field of EMS M3 plants (maize of course) im my
summer nursery and i noticed one that was just covered with aphids. They were
on the sheaths, leaf blades, stems, everywhere. It was a B73 inbred background.
I got 5 seeds from this guy (self pollination). The plant looked otherwise
normal. Perhaps this is a mutant that accumulates an aphid attractor or
does not produce an aphid inhibitor. I will increase these this Summer.
Needless to say, they will be pampered.
Allen