Russian Botanist's Name?

GSBS1032%UTSPH.THENET at LIB.TMC.EDU GSBS1032%UTSPH.THENET at LIB.TMC.EDU
Wed Feb 3 17:04:29 EST 1993

>A recent radio broadcast of "Sound Prints" featured a Russian botanist (?)
>who gained international fame for his collection of seeds and whose career
>spanned the first half (?) of this century.

>Can someone help me with the name of this gentleman and, if possible, the
>title of his primary work?  Thank you very much in advance.

>George Goldsmith

Probably, this broadcast was devoted to Nicolay Vavilov, a famous Russian
genetisist who collected an outstanding collection of plant seeds from all
over the world and who was arrested and executed at Stalin time.

Julia