re Hygromycin B, from Lenny B.

J Preiss--Seq Anal preissj at CLVAX1.CL.MSU.EDU
Wed Feb 10 23:09:00 EST 1993

	I don't know the cheapest source of Hygromycin, but I can tell you
how to cut your Hyg costs by 10 fold.  Just drop your concentration down
10 fold.  I tested the growth of Agro (LBA4301) on 523 medium for 1 week
and found that 1000 fold below published levels (20ug/ml) still completely
inhibits growth.  I then switched to 2ug/ml Hyg for my plant transformations
and have had no problem with Agro growth on 3 and 4 week old plates (which
my student forgot to transfer).  Good Luck.

	Dr. Leonard N. Bloksberg
	PreissJ at
	Dept. of Biochemistry
	Michigan State University