Gibberelin inhibitors

Thomas Bjorkman Thomas_Bjorkman at cornell.edu
Fri Feb 12 09:19:28 EST 1993

In article <11FEB199310005261 at rigel.tamu.edu> WHITSON,
jlw2582 at rigel.tamu.edu writes:
>Does anyone know of an internode-length reducer that i can get my hands
on?

Getting your hands on the plants will actually work well.  Gently
stroking the stem for a few seconds a day will shorten the internode.
Internode length responds markedly to the temperature right after sunrise
(colder => shorter).

>I've been told that Gibberellic acid inhibitors work quite nicely.
There are quite a few commercial products used by the bedding plant
industry--these have been mentioned by other posters.  Note that B-Nine
is the same stuff as Alar (daminozide)--you may have trouble getting hold
of it.

So why do you want to shorten the internodes, and on what plant?  Your
answers to those questions may lead to some revised answers.