is this group ill?

Bill Purves purves at jarthur.claremont.edu
Sun Feb 14 15:34:55 EST 1993

And then Tony said:

>According to the arbitron summary posted recently by Una Smith in
>bionet.general 175 people were caught actually reading bionet.plants
>out of an estimated 6600 who are suspected of doing so:

There is another aspect of newsgroup activity that may be less visible.
I'm not sure I've posted to this group more than once or twice, but
I not infrequently do an e-mail reply to a post.  I suspect this is
fairly common--one wants to follow up on something, or answer a
question, when it seems likely that either (a) the followup may not
be of general interest or (b) many people are likely to have the
answer to the same simple question and one doesn't want to eat up
the bandwidth.

This group seems healthy to me.  I certainly enjoy it.  I'd hate to
see it reach the activity level of, say, rec.music.classical -- that's
a very interesting newsgroup, but even with the -k command it eats
up a terrific amount of time    :-)

(bill)

William K. Purves		purves at jarthur.claremont.edu
Department of Biology