Herbarium database programs, online, Unix, PC, Mac. Question.

Charles Andrew Burchill burchil at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Sun Feb 14 15:01:54 EST 1993

First off I would like to say thanks to everyone on this group for your
past input into my questions.

I am developeing a small herbarium database program for the Macintosh
(in Hypercard) for one of the research stations at the University of Manitoba.
It has (will have) the following capabilities:
   Online user editible gazetteer.
   Online user editible list of families, that has a corrisponding list of
          genera associated with a selected family (this could be expanded
          to species as well).
   Map of Manitoba (Canada) for marking location of collection, automatic
          calculation of Lat and long if unknown from the position on the map.
   Fields for:
          Family, Genus, Species, Other(var, form, etc...) authorities,
          Notes, habitat, collected by, determined by, lat, long, date of
          collection.
   Will import and export ASCII text files.
   Will print appropriate sized herbarium labels, with map.

I would like to know if there are any commercial, PD, or shareware
herbarium record programs around.  If there are I would like to make sure
that my import and export routines are compatable.

Does any one know if there are any herbarium databases online (over the
internet and free for access).  If there are could you point me in
the appropriate direction.  I believe that it would be usefull to
put the manitoba herbarium on line but do not have any suggestions about
how to organize the database.  A Unix based program for this would be
prefered.

Lastly: If any one is interested in the herbarium front end that I am working
on please drop me a note and I will send you a copy.  The current front end
is dedicated for Manitoba Canada, but I would be willing to localize it.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.  The manual is MS Word format, if
this is a problem I can convert it to MacWrite, WriteNow, WordPerfect (mac or
PC), ASCII (without graphics).

I am no longer working in the Dept. of Botany but still have contacts there
and would still like to see our herbarium expand. If you have any information
that can not be sent to me via electronic mail it can be sent to the
adress below.

Thank you for your time.
cb

Charles A. Burchill.
Dept. of Community Health Science
Manitoba Center for Health Policy and Evaluation
T155E Old Basic Medical Science Bldg., Bannatyne Campus
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
R3T 2N2

internet: <burchil at ccu.umanitoba.ca>
--
Charles A. Burchill                               ,__o 	   //
<burchil at ccu.umanitoba.ca>                      _-\_<,   / /