Flavr-savr tomato

frist at ccu.umanitoba.ca frist at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Mon Feb 15 13:59:18 EST 1993

In article <9302101519.AA01814 at popgen.biology.umt.edu> tmo at POPGEN.BIOLOGY.UMT.EDU (Thomas Mitchell-Olds) writes:

>Dear Netters:
>
>I want to lecture to my genetics class on Calgene's
>flavr-savr tomato.  However, I can't remember the paper
>where I read the details.  Can anyone suggest some useful
>references?  Many thanks!
>
>Tom Mitchell-Olds
>University of Montana
>
>tmo at selway.umt.edu

I don't know whether they have ever formally published the details of their
work. However, I can cite a couple of recent articles on the subject:

Gray et al. (1992) Molecular biology of fruit ripening and its manipulation
with antisense genes. Plant. Mol. Biol. 19:69-87. (review article)

Tieman et al. (1992) An antisense pectin methylesterase gene alters pectin
chemistry and soluble solids in tomato fruit. Plant Cell 4:667-679.

Neither of these papers is from Calgene. As one might expect many groups
appear to be pursuing similar strategies.

Brian Fristensky                |
Department of Plant Science     |  Six days shall thou work,
University of Manitoba          |  and do all thou art able
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2  CANADA    |  The seventh the same
frist at ccu.umanitoba.ca          |  and clean out the stable
Office phone:   204-474-6085    |
FAX:            204-261-5732    |