Whole Plant Research Equipment - What Do You Recommend?

Rico A Gonzalez rgonzale at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Tue Feb 16 11:18:53 EST 1993

I am in the process of setting of a whole plant physiology lab and
could really use some input on equipment selection.  I have had
some experience with certain types of equipment but would
appreciate comments and opinions on vendors and specific models.

Please reply to me directly (r) through email and THANKS, in
advance.

Here's what I am looking for:

Pressure Bomb -     I have used the Model 3005 from Soilmoisture
                    Equipment.  It is adequate and relatively
                    inexpensive.  What else is available.

CO2 Analyzer -      My experience is with an old ADC Machine,
                    Model LCA-2 with a data logger.  This is a
                    very expensive piece of equipment and I would
                    like to know what my options are.

Control Equipment   I have used Campbell Scientific as the basis
                    for all of my field control equipment.
                    Although the equipment is dependable, I find
                    the limited instruction set and control
                    outputs on the CR10 and the 21X to be a
                    negative.  Does anyone have experience with
                    better equipment?

Image Analyzer -    My research has been directed toward the
                    analysis of root area and length using the
                    Dias II by Decagon Devices Inc.  Is there
                    other equipment which has more flexibility and
                    perhaps finer resolution?

By the way, I will gladly supply the details on any of the
equipment mentioned above to anyone interested.  All replies are
greatly appreciated.

Rico Gonzalez (rgonzale at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu)