Aphid-supporting maize mutant?

adwright at iastate.edu adwright at iastate.edu
Wed Feb 17 14:25:02 EST 1993

In <9302162317.AA19896 at mail.sas.upenn.edu> spoethig at MAIL.SAS.UPENN.EDU ("R. Scott Poethig") writes:

>A little while back someone mentioned in a note to the newsgroup that he thought
>he may have found a maize mutant that supports large populations of aphids.

>I would like to get in touch with him, but unfortunately, we did not keep the
>note, and I could not find it in the newswatcher any more.

>Can anybody help? Thanks!

>Hilli Passas
>EMAIL: SPOETHIG at mail.sas.upenn.edu

>Plant Science Institute
>University of Pennsylvania
>PA 19104-6018
>Tel: 215-898-8916

I posted it. I only got six seed but am increasing. Some should be available
in about two months if anyone has an interest. It may be a fluke that this
plant alone was covered with aphids. It looked normal in every other way. But
i have never seen so many aphids on a corn plant so there is a good chance
that it's real.
Allen Wright