Continuous light, is it ok?

marder at agri.huji.ac.il marder at agri.huji.ac.il
Thu Feb 18 07:09:03 EST 1993

In article <204 at kixtal.UUCP>, micjrs at mica.mic.ki.se (Richard Soderberg, MD) writes:
> Is it possible to make a general statement about the effects of
> *continous*
> light applied to indoor plants?
> My goal is to increase the volume of green leaves, not the protein
> contents etc.
> (I'm gonna look at my flowers, not eat them!)
> TIA
> /RS
This could be a species specific question, but in general, my bet is that
vegetative growth will continue very well in continuous light (I know of a
couple of examples).
Possible problems:
1.  Dormancy of certain buds
2.  You may need to supplement carbon dioxide to really take advantage
    of the continuous light.
--
                                 '      Jonathan B. Marder
Internet: MARDER at AGRI.HUJI.AC.IL |      Department of Agricultural Botany