Herbarium database programs, online, Unix, PC, Mac. Question.

cherry at OPAL.MGH.HARVARD.EDU cherry at OPAL.MGH.HARVARD.EDU
Thu Feb 18 13:30:28 EST 1993

In article <C2GFn7.In8 at ccu.umanitoba.ca>, burchil at ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Andrew Burchill) writes:
>Does any one know if there are any herbarium databases online (over the
>internet and free for access).  If there are could you point me in
>the appropriate direction.

The Harvard's Gray Herbarium is available via Gopher. The gopher details
are:

Name=Harvard Gray Herbarium Index of New World Plants
Type=1
Port=70
Path=1/authority_files/botany/gray_cards
Host=huh.harvard.edu

If you have a gopher client you can connect with the host
huh.harvard.edu (IP address is 128.103.108.123) then move down to the
Herbarium Index Database.

You might also be interested in The Australian National Botanic
Gardens which is also available via gopher:

Name=Australian National Botanic Gardens (New)
Type=1
Port=70
Path=
Host=osprey.erin.gov.au (IP address 155.187.10.12)

-Mike