Lone Mother of All Aphids

adwright at iastate.edu adwright at iastate.edu
Thu Feb 18 14:40:13 EST 1993

In <01GUU2VQVIPC8WXYTR at PEARL.TUFTS.EDU> GELLMORE at PEARL.TUFTS.EDU (BIOHEAD) writes:

>Allen, it is possible that that one corn plant happened to be
>visited by a single female aphid, that proceeded to reproduce in a riot
>of parthenogenesis, flightless offspring.
>                                           Ellmore
>                                           Biology
>                                           Tufts, Medford MA

I agree it is possible, Ellmore, but i have never seen this level of aphids
on a single corn plant. I did not take a picture, and i had a lot of crosses
to do that day, but if i remember right the aphids did not seem to be too
concentrated around any particular type of tissue. At this stage its hard to
say for sure what happened, i will be looking forward to seeing if it happens
again.

Allen