Hydroponics & CO2

Roland Gronroos Roland.Gronroos at sgen.slu.se
Mon Jan 4 05:33:58 EST 1993

In article <1993Jan03.232313.1313548 at zeus.calpoly.edu>,
mffowler at zeus.calpoly.edu (Michael Francis Fowler) wrote:

> Oh...Since I am here-  I am curious what the effects
> of supplementing Carbon Dioxide to my greenhouse
> crop of flowers and vegetables.  Any suggestions
> about this is also greatly appreciated.

Carbon dioxide (CO2) fertilization is a common way to increase growth in
greenhouses.

I have tested the effect of CO2 on pine seedlings (Pinus sylvestris) there
was an increase in growth (DW increase) up to about 3500 ppm.

The following examples is cited from a brochure from (snail mail adress)
AGA GAS AB, S-17282 Sundbyberg, SWEDEN. They sell gas and equipment for CO2
fertilization.

Plant        ppm CO2     comment

Tomato      1000-1500   faster growth, earlier and larger yield (25-30%)
Cucumber    1000-1500   faster growth, earlier and larger yield (25-30%)

Roses        1000       Larger yield, better stem and flower quality

Saintpaulia 1000-2000   Faster growth (24-62%), 1-2 weeks earlier flowering
                        , more flowers

Atmosperic concentration is 300-400 ppm CO2.
In a closed greenhouse will the CO2 concentration drop to about 100-150 ppm
this retards growth.
Effects on man can be observed at 20000-30000 ppm CO2 after some hours
exposure. The authorities in Sweden regard 5000 ppm as safe for workers
spending  all their working-hours in greenhouse.

Dr. Roland Gronroos 	       	                  Tele: +46 18 67 32 37
Department of Forest Genetics  	               Fax:  +46 18 67 32 79
Box 7027       	       	                	      E-mail/Datorpost:
S-750 07 Uppsala       	       	       	       Roland.Gronroos at sgen.slu.se
SWEDEN