Seed germination for tropical plants

smallory at cudnvr.denver.colorado.edu smallory at cudnvr.denver.colorado.edu
Mon Jan 25 07:32:21 EST 1993

In article <1993Jan25.141952.1094 at murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>, abl9y at faraday.clas.Virginia.EDU (Andrew B. Lederman) writes:
> I recently acquired some tropical seeds (dwarf banana, bird of paradise,
> passion flower) and need some advice on how to get them started.  The problem
> is that they require germination tempereatures between 80 - 90 degrees.
>
> How can I provide adequate temperatures and humidity etc. in my cold apartment?
> I figure I could make some sort of mini greenhouse with an aquarium, but I don't
> know the best way to keep the temperature up.

For supplying heat, the cheapest way to go may be to go to a Salvation Army or
Value Village, or other place that sells used items very cheaply, and buy a
used waterbed heater with its thermostat. Check in the store to make certain
that it actually warm up when plugged in, however. This is can be set under a
used shower curtain with soil on top of it to make a germinating/rooting bed
for a very low price.
  This doesn't provide humidity, however, and I would be interested in learning
of an inexpesive way to maintain it.

Sean Mallory            (smallory at cudnvr.denver.colorado.edu)
University of Colorado, Denver