Venus-fly-trap help

klier at iscsvax.uni.edu klier at iscsvax.uni.edu
Wed Jul 14 18:19:23 EST 1993

In article <17680 at news.duke.edu>, psconk at acpub.duke.edu (Paul Conklin) writes:
> All this discussion of Venus fly traps as pets needs a note of caution.
> This plant is endemic to a very small range in S.E. North Carolina and N.E.
> South Carolina.  While it is locally common in its costal wetland habitats,
> these habitats are disappearing rapidly to costal development.  Those areas
> that remain are under increasing pressure from plant collectors who can
> quickly remove an entire population for sale at some hardware store for $2.50
> each.  It is possible to grow fly traps from tissue  culture, but this is
> more expensive than collecting from the wild.  If you want to buy a fly trap,
> MAKE SURE IT IS GREENHOUSE PRODUCED! Ask for names and addresses, since dealers
> will often lie about their sources.

Amen.  This is true for many of the carnivorous plants, including the
Sarracenia "trumpets" that are currently fashionable in dried flower
arrangements.  Most of these are stripped from native populations, and
there is real concern that the populations are suffering.

BTW, Carolina Biological sells a venus fly trap tissue culture kit
for lab use...  I thought I might try it as a "whiz-bang" lab
[well, compared to Nicotiana tc ;-)]   Has anyone any experience with this
kit?   Is it suitable for freshman biology?

Kay Klier    Biology Dept   UNI