BEN # 59

Adolf Ceska aceska at CUE.BC.CA
Fri Jul 16 07:33:39 EST 1993

BBBBB    EEEEEE   NN   N          ISSN 1188-603X
BB   B   EE       NNN  N
BBBBB    EEEEE    NN N N          BOTANICAL
BB   B   EE       NN  NN          ELECTRONIC
BBBBB    EEEEEE   NN   N          NEWS

No. 59                            July 15, 1993

Address: aceska at cue.bc.ca         Victoria, B.C.

MEMORIAL SERVICE FOR DR. VLADIMIR KRAJINA

A  memorial  service for Dr. Vladimir J. Krajina will be held on
Wednesday July 21, 1993  at  2:00  p.m.  in  the  University  of
British  Columbia  Chapel (formerly United Church), 5375 Univer-
sity Blvd. (near Toronto Rd). This church is on the  north  side
of the University Boulevard, west of the golf club.

VICTORIA BOTANY COMING EVENTS

July 20, 1993 (Tuesday) 10:30 a.m. - Dr. Siraj Hasan (C.S.I.R.O.
      Biological  Control  Unit, Montpellier, France): "Progress
      towards biological control of  weeds  of  European  origin
      with   particular   respect  to  phytopathogens."  Pacific
      Forestry Centre, 506 West Burnside Rd.

July 24, 1993 (Saturday) 9:00 - 12:00 a.m. - Controlled  removal
      of  Scotch  Broom in Uplands Park, Phase 2. Meet at Cattle
      Point.
      In this phase we will pull or cut broom from Joel Ussery's
      test plots left behind as controls.  This  action  is  not
      widely  advertised, we don't need so many people as in the
      first attack, but come and bring your friend, if you can.

JAMES C. HICKMAN (1941 - 1993)
From: The Jepson Globe (Vol.4, No.4)

Jim Hickman, editor of the newly published Jepson Manual: Higher
plants of California, died on June 15 of Aids-related pneumonia.
The landmark field guide to all California's native  plants  was
result  of  Jim's  planning and organizing. We are grateful that
Jim lived long enough to see the result of his efforts.

Born in Iowa, Jim spent his early years in Portsmouth, Ohio.  He
obtained a degree in biology from Oberlin College and a Ph.D. in
ecology  and  systematic  botany  from the University of Oregon.
Besides teaching at Washington State University, Pullman, Swath-
more College and University of  California,  Berkeley,  Jim  was
editor  of  Madrono  and  a  program  director with the National
Science Foundation.

Jim's life was a celebration. Music, intellectual curiosity, and
friends were his touchstones. His passing reflected his  life  -
one  of  awareness,  courage and surrounded by friends. James C.
Hickman's name on The Jepson Manual is fitting memorial  to  his
vision and perseverance.

[I  met  Jim  in  1978[?],  when he and Dr. Melinda Denton led a
field trip through the Cascade Mountains of central  Oregon.  It
was  the  best  organized  field  trip  I have been on and every
participant of the trip greatly appreciated Jim's vast knowledge
of plants and the phytogeography of the Pacific Northwest. - AC]

JEPSON MANUAL SOLD OUT
From: The Jepson Globe (Vol.4, No.4)

The first printing of The Jepson Manual (7,500 copies) has  been
sold  out.  The new manual was snatched up in record time - just
three months after coming onto the market. The  second  printing
is already underway and, hopefully, will be available by August.
The  Jepson  Manual  Project  Staff  would like to hear from you
about any errors (the entire family of  Balsaminaceae  was  left
out!)  and  about  any  difficulties you encounter using keys or
descriptions. Address your letters  to  Jepson  Manual  Project,
Jepson Herbarium, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720.

CANADIAN MUSEUM OF NATURE OUT OF TOUCH WITH NATURE ?
From:  CBO  radio interview with Dr. A. Emery, Director June 21,
      1993

Jennifer Frye (JF - interviewer):  "Roberta  has  just  told  us
about  big  doings of one sort at the Canadian Museum of Nature.
Well, staff at the museum are awaiting ... word on the result of
reorganization that could mean 51 [only 1  from  management]  of
the museum's 253 employees lose their jobs."

Dr. Alan Emery (AE - Director of the Canadian Museum of Nature):
"We  want  to  catapult  the museum from a kind of a traditional
organization that deals with the old-fashioned kinds of  museum-
type  exhibits,  old-fashioned  types  of  research  and ways of
holding collections, into the future; to be a  new  dynamic  or-
ganization,  one  that's in touch with nature (which is our sub-
ject) and also in touch with society and at the leading edge  of
our research and collection efforts."

JF:  "Some  employees  even had said they worry their phones are
being tapped, morale is so poor..."

AE: "Yes, there's two philosophies of how to do..  how  to  deal
with  employees  from  a  management  perspective.  One is to be
secretive, and that is to do everything completely behind closed
doors" ..."but we wanted to be more open and to use our  staff's
input as much as we could.."

JF: "When do you think they'll know for sure if they are cut?"

AE:  "Don't know. The board has delayed the decision for 30 days
from that board meeting, which would be July 9th, and then  they
will decide when they are going to make the decision."

If  you  are interested in the full transcript of the interview,
send me your snail address or the FAX number.  The  letter  that
accompanied  the  transcript had a P.S. "Please don't mention my
name" and stated "the days of  systematic  botany,  as  we  have
known it in the museum, are numbered."

The  Board  of Trustees was supposed to meet on Friday July 9th.
According to the news from Ottawa, the meeting was postponed and
now it has been schedulled for July 20.

Dr. Alan R. Emery is an ichthyologist,  B.Sc.(Hons.)  University
of  Toronto,  M.Sc. McGill University, and Ph.D. from University
of Miami. He was Curator of Ichthyology and Herpatology  at  the
ROM  and  Associate Prof., Univ. of Toronto 1980-83 and has been
the Director of the Canadian Museum of Nature since 1983.

RE: NOXIOUS WEEDS [Ben 58]
From: Jim Pojar

Why isn't Cytisus scoparius a noxious weed ? I mean  officially,
we all know it really is.

AC: I asked the same question in 1979. The answer I got from the
Ministry of Agriculture was: "Because it grows only in abandoned
fields."