Maize Mesocotyls

Paul Giesberg giesberg at bio.vu.nl
Thu Jun 3 04:49:36 EST 1993

I am  doing experiments om maize mesocotyls and wonder what happens to the
mesocotyl when plants are getting older. I had the impression that after a
few weeks it disappears and that it is by-passed by new roots, directly
growing from the stem. Moreovere I couldn't find anything resembling the
mesocotyl in plants in somefarmers field. There must be some litterature on
this topic, but I can't find any here in our library. Is there anyone who
knows what happens to the mesocotyl and can give some references?