INTERNET FREE ACCESS THREATENED

Brian Ehlert behlert at nyx.cs.du.edu
Mon Jun 7 11:45:32 EST 1993

From:     mail>LARUET%ETSU.BITNET
Subject:  INTERNET FREE ACCESS THREATENED
To:       ehlert
Sent:     06/04/93

Comments:      Resent-From: ric la rue <LARUET at ETSU>
Comments:      Originally-From: Carl Dassbach <DASSBACH at MTUS5.cts.mtu.edu

please pass along to others so we can keep things growing online.
ric, knight of the nets
PLEASE FORWARD TO OTHER NETWORKS

Most of you are probably aware of a plan to limit free use of
INTERNET to "scientists" transmitting huge files and to start
charging for e-mail.  Apparently, this is the result of private
telecommunications interests putting pressure on the National
Science Foundation.

If this plan is realized, it will mean that the majority of the
approximately 15 million users of INTERNET will be cut off.
Sadly, this is occurring just when the potential of this network
was starting to be realized.

Something must be DONE.  We can not let private interests deprive
us of access to INTERNET.

I suggest that all concerned users register their protest/concern
directly with Clinton and Gore via e-mail.  Their e-mail address
have recently been posted and they are:

Clinton= PRESIDENT at WHITEHOUSE.GOV
Gore = VICE.PRESIDENT at WHITEHOUSE.GOV

In addition, I also suggest that we identify the office in the
NSF which is responsible for INTERNET and register electronic
protests with them.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, especially in
locating the e-mail address for the office in the NSF.

* Carl H.A. Dassbach               BITNET:  DASSBACH at MTUS5
  *
* Dept. of Social Sciences         INTERNET: DASSBACH at MTUS5.CTS.MTU.EDU *

* Michigan Technological Univ.  PHONE: (906)487-2115
  *
* Houghton,  MI  49931             FAX: (906)487-2468
  *
* U.S.A.
  *

End of file - Deactivate printer or capture, then press <RETURN>:
I received this earlier today over e-mail.  I will suggest that you spread
it to other groups that you read.

- Bri