soil Electrical Conductivity -- measure of salinity?

smaschue at ucsd.edu cs180sbg at sdcc5.ucsd.edu
Wed Jun 9 16:23:12 EST 1993

Hello.  Can anyone explan what exactly the measure of "SOIL CONDUCTIVITY"
is?  I keep hearing about the unit E.C.,  This term seems to be used
frequently in hydroponics texts...and when I was talking to a man
about getting a huge amount of kelp delivered to our garden, he wanted
to make sure our salinity was not out of control, first.  What exactly
are the units?  Is it a logarithmic scale?

Is the EC an accurate measure of the ion solutes?  Will it be possible for
me to make some measurement of a soil solution's Ohmic conductivity, with
perhaps gold electrodes, with some known spacing...to calculate E.C.?

Better yet,  does anyone know any publications that talk about this?

Thanks for your help.  Ever since a few beans started to wilt, despite their
moist soil I have been suspecting salt build-ups.

xoxo

--
sean maschue
smaschue at ucsd.edu