CATNIP

LONSDALE at JII.AFRC.AC.UK LONSDALE at JII.AFRC.AC.UK
Fri Jun 11 08:16:00 EST 1993

Header included..... this time, sorry for the omission

From:	CBS%UK.AC.RUTHERFORD.IBM-B::EDU.WASHINGTON.U.CARSON::JMCLEAN 10-JUN-1993 0
 5:58:58.78
Subj:	matatabi/Japanese "catnip"

>I'm trying to find the botanical name for a plant product sold in
>Japan as "matatabi."  The package says "it relieves stress in cats" but
>gives no ID.  My Japanese friends tell me it is "Japanese catnip,"
>though the woody stalks look nothing like Nepeta.  Any help would be
>appreciated.  Please email me.  Thanks.

Fom what you describe it sounds like one of the Labiatea family of which
Nepeta cataria (otherwise known as cat mint) belongs to. It is a family
of some 3500 species, mainly found in Mediterranean climates. Many of
the species are aromatic, yielding useful oils..... or so my Mother-
in-Law (they do have their uses !) informs me.

What I would like to know is : what is it that drives my cats to
roll in it, eat it and generally display signs of drug abuse?
I have ground the stuff up and added to cheap cat food to make
it more palatable with little success.

David Lonsdale

LONSDALE at UK.AC.AFRC.JII