rain flattening prior to lodging

braam at DINGO.RICE.EDU braam at DINGO.RICE.EDU
Tue Jun 22 07:21:17 EST 1993

Tony Travis writes:

>So, can you tell me how the _touch_ genes are expressed?
>
>Re: response to music: apparently one rock group boasts that it's music
>registered on the Richter scale at a seismology observatory during one
>of their concerts in Germany - it depends what you call 'music' ;-)
>
>	Tony.
>--
>Dr. A.J.Travis,                       |  JANET: <ajt at uk.ac.sari.rri>
>Rowett Research Institute,            |  other: <ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk>
>Greenburn Road, Bucksburn,            |  phone: +44 (0)224 712751
>Aberdeen, AB2 9SB. UK.                |    fax: +44 (0)224 715349

We are currently investigating the mechanism(s) by which the expression
levels of the Arabidopsis touch (TCH) genes are increased following
mechanical (and some nonmechanical) stimuli. This response is very strong
(at least 10X) and very fast (significant increases within 10 min).
Because three of the 5 known TCH genes encode calmodulin-related proteins
and because many of the inducing stimuli are thought to cause cytoplasmic
calcium ion increases, we suspect, and have some evidence so far, that it
may be through a calcium signal that the mRNAs encoding the TCH genes are
increased.  The functions of the encoded proteins are also uncertain at
this time; as yet we have no proof that these proteins have roles in
altering the plants in any way to make them more resistant to mechanical
stress. We are therefore also currently investigating the functions,
behavior, and localization of the proteins. I'll be happy to answer any
other questions regarding this work.

Janet Braam
Rice University

braam at bioc.rice.edu