rain flattening prior to lodging

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Tue Jun 22 17:14:42 EST 1993

braam at EDU.RICE.DINGO wrote:
: [...]
: increased.  The functions of the encoded proteins are also uncertain at
: this time; as yet we have no proof that these proteins have roles in
: altering the plants in any way to make them more resistant to mechanical
: stress. We are therefore also currently investigating the functions,
: behavior, and localization of the proteins. I'll be happy to answer any
: other questions regarding this work.

Are the proteins involved in thigmotropic responses (contact responses)
or in longer term responses eg. thickening of collenchyma cell walls?

I think there is an important difference between mechanical stress as
in the forces acting on a load-bearing stem, and other mechanical
stimuli such as abrasion of tendrils etc.  The responses I am
interested in are those resulting in adaptation to mechanical stress.

However, I can accept that repeated exposure to contact stimuli in a
developing plant may have an important role to play in 'hardening' to
mechanical stress.  The deliberate 'brushing' of greenhouse plants or
the mutual contact of neighbouring plants in a developing crop blown
about by wind and rain may, in fact, be stimulating a common mechanism
that results in adaptation to mechanical stress.

Does the anatomy of Arabidopsis change in response to mechanical
stimulation as was reported many years ago by Walker for thickening of
the collenchyma cells in Pelargonium when the plants were shaken?

	Tony.