Graduate Student Outreach Conference--PLEASE READ

Victoria Simon simon_v at msupa.pa.msu.edu
Tue Jun 22 11:57:00 EST 1993

			Graduate Student Outreach Conference
		Hosted by Science Theatre of Michigan State University
			"Where Science Takes the Stage"

If you or any graduate (or undergraduate) students visit schools or your
community in an effort todemonstrate the fun of science (or you have thought
about it) this is the conference for you.  I am not in charge of this
conference (simply relaying the information) so you'd have to check for
certain but I thinkthe only costs involved are a $15 registration fee and
your travel to East Lansing.  (There are a few travelgrants available for
those whose departments aren't willing to pay and provide a letter stating
that.)  Meals, room and lots of "goodies" are funded through grants.

REPLY BY JULY 10!!!   (If you read this after that date, feel free to contact
 us but the conference may be full.)

Science Theatre has been bringing science to the public for over two years
with their "put fun into science" approach.  Graduate students from the
Department of Physics and Astronomy at Michigan State University have wowed
audiences throughout Michigan with their mind-boggling demos and dramatic
stage shows.  In an effort to spread their success, Science Theatre will be
hosting a conference for graduate students July 30-August 1 in East Lansing MI.

The purpose of this three day conference will be to showcase the various
demonstrations and stage presentations that Science Theatre and other
outreach groups have been bringing to the public in an effort to promote
science literacy and enjoyment of science in the community and to help other
groups begin their own outreach programs.  Participants will be given
supplies and will make their own demonstrations covering everything from the
standard "quickies" to the quite unusual.

Other information such as how to obtain funding for outreach activities from
various agencies and institutions, where to find demonstration equipment, as
well as how to coordinate possible events for the community will also be
presented.  Limited funding is available.

Abstracts deadline is July 1, 1993

Sponsored by the William F. and Edith R. Meggars Project Award of the AIP.

For more information contact Danielle Casavant or Jennifer Discenna, Science
Theatre, MSU Department of Physics and Astronomy East Lansing MI 48824,
(517)336-3680

Email to casavant at msupa.pa.msu.edu
or discenna at msupa.pa.msu.edu

You can "reply" directly to me but I will be out until June 29 and am not as
capable of responding to your questions, etc. as they are.

		THIS IS REALLY A GOOD OPPORTUNITY FOR ANY
		COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY SCIENCE DEPARTMENT!!!