rain flattening prior to lodging

braam at DINGO.RICE.EDU braam at DINGO.RICE.EDU
Mon Jun 28 05:34:51 EST 1993

ajt at uk.ac.sari.rri wrote:

>Are the proteins involved in thigmotropic responses (contact responses)
>or in longer term responses eg. thickening of collenchyma cell walls?
>
>I think there is an important difference between mechanical stress as
>in the forces acting on a load-bearing stem, and other mechanical
>stimuli such as abrasion of tendrils etc.  The responses I am
>interested in are those resulting in adaptation to mechanical stress.
>
>However, I can accept that repeated exposure to contact stimuli in a
>developing plant may have an important role to play in 'hardening' to
>mechanical stress.  The deliberate 'brushing' of greenhouse plants or
>the mutual contact of neighbouring plants in a developing crop blown
>about by wind and rain may, in fact, be stimulating a common mechanism
>that results in adaptation to mechanical stress.
>
>Does the anatomy of Arabidopsis change in response to mechanical
>stimulation as was reported many years ago by Walker for thickening of
>the collenchyma cells in Pelargonium when the plants were shaken?
>
>	Tony.
>--
>Dr. A.J.Travis

We are currently characterizing the proteins and hope to gain information
concerning their functions.  As yet, we can only speculate based on
sequence similarities, for example, TCH3 likely binds calcium ions, but is
unlikely to function as calmodulin.  The development of Arabidopsis is
altered in response to repetitive mechanical stimulation, however, as yet
this analysis has been limited to finding a decrease in overall elongation
(including petioles and bolts) and, with wind, an increase in radial
expansion.  These analyses were only done on the whole plant level.  We are
currently examining differences at  the histological level.

Janet Braam
braam at bioc.rice.edu