Direction of vine winding

Martha K PuesterJensen mkjensen at iastate.edu
Wed Jun 30 12:42:23 EST 1993

I think that the direction of vine winding is controlled by
the curcumnutation of the growing tip of the plant.  It's been
known for many years that the meristem transcribes a sort of helix as
it grows upwards.  Some plants are exclusively clockwise, some
counterclockwise, and some plants switch back and forth.  There was
an article about it in Science or the Plant Cell or something within
the past few months.  I can probably come up with the citation if anyone
is really interested...

Martha
(mkjensen at iastate.edu)