Direction of vine winding

Bill Williams bwilliam at
Wed Jun 30 08:43:17 EST 1993

In article <C9FFCH.1tG at> Ian Staples,
ianst at writes:
> Perhaps it's just another manifestation of the plug-hole phenomenon?

The "plug-hole phenomenon" (water supposedly swirling anti-clockwise in
the N hemisphere, clockwise in S) is a myth, as was shown conclusively
(well...) by a bunch of MIT types several years ago (usually there was
no swirl at all but when there was its direction was not significantly
different from chance).

But, I would be interested to know if anyone has really nailed down the
vine-twisting phenomenon. My father-in-law has worried about this for
William E. Williams, bwilliam at
Divison of Natural Sciences and Mathematics
St. Mary's College of Maryland
St. Mary's City, MD 20686