What is Internet Gopher.

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Wed Mar 3 05:52:43 EST 1993

Mike Cherry 726-5955 (CHERRY at EDU.HARVARD.MGH.FRODO) wrote:
: After posting a message lastweek about a couple of the Herbarium
: databases that are available via the Internet Gopher software it was
: suggested that I post more information about Gopher. Please forgive me
: that this message is not directly related to plant biology.

We forgive you, Mike :-)

: The amount of information that is available via the Internet Gopher is
: exploding. This includes information on plants. Notably five plant
: genome databases are available via Gopher now: Arabidopsis, maize,
: soybean, pine tree, and wheat.  Other types of information are also
: available like the Herbarium and ecological databases, and more are
: coming.
: [...]

I think that bionet.plants is _exactly_ the sort of place to let people
know about plant-related databases available for ftp or via gopher, so
please don't hesitate to post here.

	Tony.