Equipment Recommendations and Opinions (Results)

Rico A Gonzalez rgonzale at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Wed Mar 3 16:06:57 EST 1993

I posted a request several week ago asking for opinions and recommendations
on research equipment I needed to set up a whole-plant physiology
laboratory.  At the request of several people on the net I have compiled
the response I received from this previous post.

The information is a bit jumbled, I took the liberty of editing the
free to e-mail comments or additional information to me.

Thanks to all those who responded.

Rico (rgonzale at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu)

1.  On Pressure Bombs and Psychrometers:

     We have a PMS pressure bomb from the company of the same name in
     Oregon.  It's OK. [bwilliam at oyster.smcm.edu (Bill Williams)]

     You don't have any psychrometric equipment noted.  The Wescor is
     essentially the industry standard, and I don't see any reason not to
     use it.  [bwilliam at oyster.smcm.edu (Bill Williams)]

     I have used the Model 3005 from Soilmoisture.  The only other options
     that I know of are PMS of Corvallis OR, or have one built for you -
     this is what they did at the Universitaet Bayreuth where I did a post-
     doc.  [aa365 at freenet.carleton.ca (Kenneth Werk)]

     As for pressure bombs, you might try PMS (Plant Moisture Status)
     Instrument Co., 2750 N.  W.  Royal Oaks Drive, Corvallis, Oregon,
     97330.  They have several models and we've had good success with them.
     [MEK104 at PSUVM.PSU.EDU (Mark Kubiske)]

2.  On CO2 Analyzers

     I like the Li-Cor IRGA very much.  Other friends in the field suggest
     that it's rugged, extremely accurate, and easy to use.  It's also
     about 90% smaller and lighter than the ADC.  [bwilliam at oyster.smcm.edu
     (Bill Williams)]

     GET A LI-COR 6200 PORTABLE PHOTOSYNTHESIS SYSTEM (descriptive comments
     edited out) [DCGITZ at MIAMIU.ACS.MUOHIO.EDU]

     My experience is with an old ADC Machine, I too mostly used an ADC.
     They are expensive (like all IRGAs). There is a very good German IRGA
     which is also extremely expensive.  We had a Beckman which is fine for
     the lab but not suitable for field work.  [aa365 at freenet.carleton.ca
     (Kenneth Werk)]

     I'm familiar with the old ADC, LCA-2 system and in my opinion it is
     much more reliable than the newer LCA-3, although, I understand that
     Keith Parkinson is comming out with a new IRGA system under a
     different brand name??  In talking with colleagues, Li-Cor has a very
     reliable IRGA with excellent support service, but it is less mobile
     than the ADC, and is a closed system which has certain porblems that
     the open systems like th e ADC don't have.  Also, I received a flyer
     from a company called CID, Inc. (P.O Box 9008, Moscow, Idaho, 83843)
     which also makes portable CO2 analyzers and photosynthesis systems.  I
     have not read their material closely and I have heard of no one who
     uses their equipment.  [MEK104 at PSUVM.PSU.EDU (Mark Kubiske)]

3.  On Field Control Equipment

     For a Campbell substitute, try Automota, call Lenny Feuer at
     916-273-0380.  The price and equipment are good.
     [goldan1 at phibred.phibred.com (Dan Goldman)]

     I also have only used Campbell Scientific loggers but there are many
     others available. You might try Omnidata of Logan, Utah. They seemed
     to have a good assortment of logger/controlers.
     [aa365 at freenet.carleton.ca (Kenneth Werk)]

4.  On Image Analysis

     I use a Unix workstation to do image analysis, and I would avoid any
     system that is a 'turnkey' which cannot be re-programmed to do other
     tasks.  Many people use PC's with boards from Imaging Technology and
     program libraries such as Itex, but the performance of PC's leaves
     something to be desired if you want to do more demanding measurements
     (eg. skeletonisation of images).  Our system uses a 768 x 564 (TV)
     resolution frame store and CCD camera, but recent advances in areas
     like PhotoCD make higher resolutions possible at a price.  Also
     remember that the higher the resolution, the more data you have to
     process!  Take a look at sci.image.processing as well if you are
     looking for recent developments.  [Tony Travis <ajt at rowett.scot-agric-
     res-inst.ac.uk>