Loss of coloniality by algae in culture

Joseph E Boxhorn jboxhorn at csd4.csd.uwm.edu
Sat Mar 6 22:09:39 EST 1993

	I have a few questions regarding algae in culture. I have been
culturing a number of freshwater phytoplankton species.  I have noticed that
several colonial species seem to become unicellular in culture.  Examples of
this include Coelospherium and Gomphospherium.  Once cultured, they become
almost indistinguishable from Chlorella.  I have noticed this effect in a
number of divisions and using several different culture media.

	I have also noticed that in other colonial groups the number of cells
per colony is reduced in culture.  Dinobryon is an example of a genus that does
this.

	1) Has anyone else seen this effect?

	2) Is anyone aware of any reviews or articles that discuss this?

	3) Does anyone have an explanation?  (my own thoughts on this is that
	   this is a response to the lack of predation in culture, but I
	   haven't had a chance to run any experiments to test this.)

	Thank you

--
Joseph Boxhorn (jboxhorn at csd4.csd.uwm.edu)
Department of Biological Sciences