productive lab meetings

Alexander L. Friend alf2 at Ra.MsState.Edu
Sun Mar 14 20:55:25 EST 1993

Casting the net.

I am presently trying to revitalize an ecophysiology lab meeting I
have been convening for the past couple of years and am looking for
ideas.  I remember reading an article in Science, within the past
year I believe, about the most productive labs and seem to remember
some discussion of meeting format in that article.  Has anyone seen
this?  Alternatively, does anyone have any ideas or resources on
how to hold productive group meetings/brainstorming sessions?

To get things started, I would propose the following guidelines:
(1) Know the objective/goal of the meeting, (2) Be sure all
participants have something to gain, or are equally at risk --
although this may be tricky with mixed faculty/graduate students--

Thanks in advance for your ideas on this subject.  I will summarize
any responses and post to this group.

Alex Friend
Assistant Professor of Forestry
Mississippi State University