In search of the elusive Mycologist.

Geoff Steckel - Sun BOS Hardware CONTRACTOR gsteckel at vergil.East.Sun.COM
Sun Mar 21 22:41:55 EST 1993

In article <kwm2.732679211 at crux1.cit.cornell.edu> kwm2 at crux2.cit.cornell.edu (Kenneth W. Mudge) writes:
>Be careful! Mentioning Aminitas in a posting about edible mushrooms might
>suggest that they too are edible.  With few exceptions, Aminitas are
>extremely poisonous; they are however mycorrhizal, but what's that got to do
>with edibility?

You're right; most Amanitas are of at least questionable edibility,
and A. phalloides & A. virosa, etc., account for most fatal mushroom
poisonings.

A. caesaria and A. calyptrata are widely eaten, however.  _I_ haven't found
any.  If someone is looking for 'exotics', he might want to go for real
exotics, and get into trouble.
--
	geoff steckel (gwes at trilobyte.com, gwes at wjh12.harvard.EDU)
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Sun Microsystems, despite the From: line.