In search of the elusive Mycologist.

Christian Smith czs at netcom.com
Tue Mar 23 17:15:51 EST 1993

Hi Richard,

I wish we had more mycorrhizal expertise tuned in out there, but we don't
seem to.  My own mycological background is heavily biased towards regular
old plant pathogens.  It would be great if we had some way of advertising
the Internet at some of the annual professional meetings.  Anyway, I've
got a question for you.  Has it been unequivocally demonstrated for a
large  number of ecto-mycorrhizal species that live tree roots are
necessary for basidiocarp (in basidiomyctes) formation.  In other words
have they been able to exclude the role of "third party" organisms in
the process?  If so how have these types of experiments been designed?
Just thought I'd ask.

                        Christian
the benefits of the INTERNET at