In search of the elusive Mycologist.

Kathie Hodge kh11 at cornell.edu
Wed Mar 24 14:25:34 EST 1993

Geoff Steckel, gsteckel at vergil.East.Sun.COM wrote:
>Did anyone see a (somewhat garbled) announcement of a high-school science
>award about comparing the DNA of "false truffles" (family/genus
unspecified)
>to Laccaria & finding significant similarities?  What's up?

Elizabeth Pine of the Illinois Math and Science Academy in Chicago won
first prize in the Westinghouse Science Talent Search for her project on
the relationships of false-truffles to mushrooms.  She and Gregory
Mueller of the Field Museum of Natural History used DNA sequences (from
the ITS region of the rDNA) to look at some basidiomycetes that have
traditionally been placed in the gasteromycetes (now recognized as an
assemblage of unrelated things united by their closed fruiting bodies).
Specifically, they  found that "Hydnangium and Podohydnangium are sister
taxa to Laccaria and are not closely related to other false-truffles."

The Mycological Society of America has generously invited (and funded, I
believe) Ms. Pine to attend the June, 1993 annual meeting in Athens, GA,
where she will present a poster on her work.  Looks like good stuff.
Congratulations, Elizabeth!

Too bad, but there are no mycology newsgroups or listservs of which I'm
aware; bionet.plants seems to be the best place to post fungusy things.
If you're a member of the MSA, the latest issues of their newsletter,
Inoculum, contain e-mail addresses for those mycologists who are
net-aware.

Kathie Hodge
a fellow mycologist without a newsgroup to call home
kh11 at cornell.edu