In search of the elusive Mycologist.

Thu Mar 25 19:02:45 EST 1993

In article <czsC4D4IF.GqG at netcom.com>, czs at netcom.com (Christian Smith) writes:
>Hi Richard,
>
>I wish we had more mycorrhizal expertise tuned in out there, but we don't
>seem to.  My own mycological background is heavily biased towards regular
>old plant pathogens.  It would be great if we had some way of advertising
>the Internet at some of the annual professional meetings.  Anyway, I've
>got a question for you.  Has it been unequivocally demonstrated for a
>large  number of ecto-mycorrhizal species that live tree roots are
>necessary for basidiocarp (in basidiomyctes) formation.  In other words
>have they been able to exclude the role of "third party" organisms in
>the process?  If so how have these types of experiments been designed?
>Just thought I'd ask.

Some ectos have been grown in axenic culture, but the results seem somewhat
hit-and-miss (not all species of a genus will fruit, and the fruiting bodies
tend to be pretty small).  It is supposed that the majority of species
require the symbiotic association to fruit, but I don't think that a serious
attempt has been made to exhaust the possibilites.  For the boletaceae,
Hagem's medium has been used, as well as defined media.  Culturing is done
in a deep vessle full of agar (such as a beaker).

Hagem's media (modified by Modess)

  5 g  Glucose
  5 g  Malt extract
0.5 g  KH2PO4
0.5 g  MgSO4.7H2O
0.5 g  NH4Cl
0.5 ml 1% Ferric citrate solution
 15 g  Difco agar
  1 L  Water

Melin & Das defined medium

  5 g  Glucose
  5 g  Maltose
  1 g  KH2PO4
0.5 g  MgSO4.7H2O
0.5 g  Ammonium tartrate
0.5 ml 1% Ferric citrate solution
2.5 mg ZnSO4
 50 ug Thiamin HCl

Reference: McLaughlin, D. 1970. Environmental control of fruitbody
development in Boletus rubinellus in axenic culture. Mycologia 62:307-331.

I've found references to culture of the following (not to be taken as anywhere
near a complete list):

Boletus rubinellus
        edulis
Gyrodon merulioides
Boletinus cavipes
          pictus
          spectabilis
          grisellus
Phlebopus sulphureus
          lignicola
Xerocomus badius
          illudens

Laccaria fraterna
         laccata
Hydnangium carneum

The B. edulis entry looks particularly interesting.  -RSW

  RICHARD WINDER                    Title: Visiting Fellow
  Forestry Canada                   Phone: (604) 363-0600